Monday, May 16, 2011

"I've been wet before"

Oh man, what a miserable weather weekend. Cold, raw and rainy doesn't usually define perfect sailing weather. We didn't let that didn't stop us, though.

We got through our land based activities on Saturday morning, arrived at Marina Bay around 1300 and were underway at 1410.  Wind was ESE (or so) and about 10 knots, which made for good close hauled sailing through Dorchester Bay on a starboard tack, Western Way (under the Long Island bridge) on a port tack and finally to the anchorage (Perry's Cove at Peddocks I.) on a starboard tack once again. We furled the Genoa just outside the cove and sailed to anchor.

It was no surprise that LIQUIDITY was alone at Peddocks, as I counted no sailboats on Dorchester Bay, one near the Long Island bridge and only a handful more in the distance.

Anchored at Peddocks, I rowed ashore in the dinghy, walked the dogs, rowed back, enjoyed a quiet dinner on board and spent a warm, cozy night in the v-berth while torrents of rain gave LIQUIDITY a well deserved fresh water wash down. (The rain was a good test of the rebedding I did on the forward hatch last year.) The following morning, rain past, I rowed the dogs to the beach, rowed back, ate breakfast and with little wind, motored home.

Total count of sailboats I saw out over the weekend is less than the fingers of one hand. Total at the anchorage at Peddocks was one Cape Dory 28.

We had a great weekend, and I suspect those I saw out sailing might say the same. For the 99% though who will say, "What a miserable weekend," all I can say is, "I've been wet before (and I didn't melt then, either)."

No comments:

Post a Comment