Sunday, December 1, 2013

Let the Repower Begin!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Happy Hanukkah, too.

As the Thanksgiving weekend ends, Liquidity is safely under her winter cover at Marina Bay. Tucked under the bow in its own shrink wrap, is the MD7A that's provided backup to me and the three previous caretakers since 1977. It seems smaller and perhaps less important now that it's out of the boat. But it has a big heard. The little Volvo did its job and did it well.

The MD7A still runs, of course, and its last big test was a long, hard, into the wind, into the seas slog from Provincetown to Scituate, last September. It never missed a beat and if I keep this up, I'll second guess why I'm repowering!

Actually, my little Volvo that could is showing signs of age. Nothing that's not correctable, of course, but issues with the cooling system, some water leaks and some oil leaks that require removal from the boat. If I could do the work myself, I would, but to pay for removal and reinstallation, plus the rehab, doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd be happy enough if the MD7A simply found a new home.

My next task is to actually order the Beta. I've got it all scoped out and am just one email away. I'm thinking delivery right around the first of March, tuck the Beta in the back of the Jeep and take it to the yard at Marina Bay. (The good news is the Beta weighs in at about 200 lbs.; about half the weight of the Volvo.) Then off comes the cover and away we go. I'll do the outside while Kevin does the inside. That should keep my on track for a launch the first week in April!

(Who do you know who could use a sweet, reliable Volvo MD7A for Christmas? It's quite small and would look great under your tree and in your boat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment