Friday, February 3, 2012

Why the boat show?

It's the same every year, sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger, depending on the economy. Still, for the most part, it's the same boat show as last year and the year before. So ponder once again whether I pay to walk the aisles of same old same old.

I'm not a buyer. See the picture? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the boat I have. Chances of falling in love with a boat show special would be zero. New gizmos? Not so likely there, either. Hey, I've almost talked myself out of going to the boat show. Almost.

For me, it's not about buying. I walk the boat show because it's yet another sign of Spring. It's a chance to talk boats and see people I know from the boating/sailing community. And as for not buying, that's not completely true. I'll renew my SeaTow coverage, which is a boat show tradition for me. Maybe buy a hat.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going! See you there!

2 comments:

  1. I try to find creative way to enjoy the show. This year we took the kids to the Sheds Aquarium before Strictly Sail Chicago. I look at these new boats on display and think that it would make a great boat in about 25 years when the price is more reasonable. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Greg! LIQUIDITY is a 1977 Cape Dory 28 and there's no new hull I'm looking to buy at the boat show. As for "a great boat in 25 years," I think that in 2037, a 60 year old Cape Dory will be a better (and more valuable) boat than just about anything currently on display.

    ReplyDelete